Ever since Miss tried a garden cane out on my bottom (and it snapped into ever decreasing lengths with every stroke), I had pondered on how to make a decent cane. Yes, I know they are available on the internet market, but I think that there is something rather satisfying about actually making an implement with ones own hands.
Thinking of what we had stored in our garage I suddenly remembered about my old fishing gear. I gave up fishing long ago when I took up golf and so, rummaging about amongst the dust and cobwebs, I eventually found what I was looking for. My old pike rod, the top piece being the main focus of my attention. So eager was I to get started, that I forgot to take a photograph of it before hand. So I borrowed one off the internet that resembled it most closely.
After a mornings work of filing and sanding down I had the last 18 inches down to about 8mm and the rest tapered gradually up to the metal rod connector, which I choose to leave on.
Now for the handle.
Knowing a trick or two about removing and refitting a golf grip, I thought this would be the easy part.......
The bastard would not come off an old club I had, (an eight iron). I knew I should have used a seven. Many tries and many more oaths later, I hit upon the idea of using higher pressure to force the petrol between grip and shaft. Double cylinder foot pump to the rescue, and with a whooosh and much spray of petrol, the grip was free.
Problems were had and then solved, but I think I did a pretty good job, even if I do say so myself.
Miss seems to be very pleased with it.